‘Oriental victims need not worry’

0

Kathmandu, June 6

The Problematic Cooperatives Wealth Management Committee has tried to dispel concerns raised by the victims of Oriental Cooperative and some other housing projects owned by realtor Sudheer Basnet after his release. “The process of settling the cases has already begun and it could take around a year to settle all 7,500 claims,” said Rewati Raman Pokharel, spokesperson for committee.

Following Basnet’s release after serving his two-year sentence, victims of the cooperative and housing projects owned by him had urged the Problematic Cooperatives Wealth Management Committee to keep an eye on Basnet and expedite the settlement of the cases filed by the victims.

Basnet was lodged at Dillibazar Jail after the Kathmandu and Bhaktapur District Courts issued a verdict of two years of imprisonment and Rs 59.2 million in penalties for the fraud cases filed against him.

As per Pokharel, Basnet’s release will not affect settlement of cases as physical property, bank account and travel documents of Basnet and his allies are in possession of committee.

The committee, led by Chairman of Special Court Gauri Bahadur Karki, had sought claims in between April 16 and May 20 from Biratnagar, Birgunj, Kathmandu, Pokhara, Nepalgunj, Surkhet and Dhangadhi.

A total of 7,500 people who claim to have fallen victim to Basnet’s schemes had submitted their application at the committee within the given deadline. Pokharel informed that Basnet had been summoned by the committee to record his testimony many times during his imprisonment and that Basnet and his allies could be summoned any time if the committee feels the need for further investigation.

The committee will settle the claims on a case by case basis prioritising depositors; outstanding dues to the government, banks; those that had made advance payments for apartments and those who provided loans for the housing projects; and owners who had rented their property to Oriental’s offices. The victims will be gradually rebated after liquidation of Oriental’s property.

The committee has been seeking help of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) of Nepal Police to identify the physical properties and hidden properties of Basnet and the board of directors of Oriental Cooperative. It is reported that Oriental Cooperative and apartment projects initiated by Oriental Builders and Developers, Kohinoor Hill Housing, Aayusha Builders initiated by Chairman of Oriental Cooperative and realty trader Basnet misused an eye-popping Rs 4.20 billion in deposits of the cooperative and Rs 1.36 billion parked by customers for housing projects.

Majority of the commercial banks and financial institutions, including government-owned Rastriya Banijya Bank and Employees Provident Fund, had financed Oriental’s housing projects.

“The committee will calculate the liability by verifying the submitted claims while settling the cases,” said Pokharel. “While verifying the claims, documents sought by the committee along with the claims are a must. The proof of savings amount in the cooperative; share certificates; proof of loan issued to the construction company and other projects; details of fixed property as collateral and citizenship certificate will be properly verified before settling the claims.”

Written by Sandeep This news first appeared on https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/oriental-victims-need-not-worry/ under the title “‘Oriental victims need not worry’”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Sales of luxurious vehicles decelerate after duty hike

0

Dealers say no queries for high-end automobiles after the budget

Kathmandu, June 6

Owing to the hike in excise duty by up to 40 percentage points through the 2018-19 fiscal budget, automobile dealers have said that sales of high-end vehicles (both two-wheelers and four-wheelers) have come to a screeching halt since the last one week.

They said that not only have sales dipped but customers are not even inquiring about luxurious vehicles following the excise duty hike, which has had made this segment of vehicles dearer in the domestic market.

The government, through the new fiscal policy, had raised the excise duty on two-wheelers of above 150cc engine capacity and four-wheelers of above 1,000cc by up to 40 percentage points.

Along with the rise in the excise duty, auto dealers had consequently increased the price of high-end vehicles of different brands.

“Even if we take a rough estimation, the price of a few high-end vehicles have become dearer by up to Rs 10 million after the latest tax revision. This has led to a complete halt in the sales of luxurious vehicles,” said Shambu Prasad Dahal, president of NADA Automobiles Association of Nepal (NAAN).

The excise duty hike has primarily affected the sales of vehicles of automobile brands like Ducati, Benelli, Harley-Davidson, Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, UM and KTM, which have been selling high-end vehicles in the country, according to NAAN.

The market share of high-end vehicles in the domestic market is estimated to stand at around 10 per cent.

Dealers claim that the government raised the excise duty without enough preparation. If the move was intended to raise revenue, Dahal questioned the pragmatism of that motive if the auto dealers stopped importing high-end vehicles following the lean demand.

“As the decision has already been implemented, the government and the private sector should sit together to seek a solution to this issue,” stated Dahal.

However, automobile dealers have welcomed the government’s decision not to increase excise duty on mid- and low-range vehicles.

Though this significant rise in excise duty will not affect the overall automobile business, it will have an adverse impact on the automobile companies that have been importing a few high-end vehicles and selling them in the domestic market.

Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli-led government, through the federal budget for next fiscal, has raised the excise duty on two-wheelers of above 150cc to 250cc by 10 percentage points to 70 per cent, and for two-wheelers of above 250cc by 20 percentage points to 80 per cent.

Similarly, excise duty on four-wheelers of above 1,000cc to 1,500cc has been increased by five percentage points to 65 per cent, and those above 1,500cc to 2,000cc by 10 percentage points to 70 per cent. Likewise, for vehicles of above 2,000cc to 2,500cc the excise duty has been hiked by 20 percentage points to 80 per cent, above 2,500cc to 3,000cc by 30 percentage points to 90 per cent and those above 3,000cc by 40 percentage points to 100 per cent.

Prior to this, the government had been levying 60 per cent excise duty on all types of vehicles except electric vehicles.

Written by Sandeep This news first appeared on https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/sales-of-luxurious-vehicles-decelerate-after-duty-hike/ under the title “Sales of luxurious vehicles decelerate after duty hike”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Laxmi’s new branch

0

KATHMANDU: Laxmi Bank has inaugurated its new branch in sub-metropolitan city in Kalaiya, Bara district.

This new branch will offer full range of retail banking services customised to meet the needs of individuals and small businesses, as per a media release.

With this, Laxmi Bank’s network now includes 43 districts, 85 branches, three hospital service counters, 103 ATMs, more than 2,500 remittance counters, 51 branchless banking points and 400-plus mobile banking agents spread across the country.

Written by Sandeep This news first appeared on https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/laxmis-new-branch-2/ under the title “Laxmi’s new branch”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Police hammer Province5

0
PM Cup

NPC’s Dipendra Singh Airee celebrates his half century against Province5 during their PM Cup One Day Cricket Tournament match at the TU Stadium in Kathmandu on Wednesday. Photo: Udipt Singh Chhetry/ THT

Kathmandu, June 6

Nepal Police Club defeated Province5 by seven wickets to advance to the semi-finals of the Prime Minister Cup One Day Cricket Tournament here at the TU Stadium today.

With the victory, NPC topped Group B with seven points, while Province5 made it to the last four as group runners-up on better net run rate after they were tied on five points with Province7. Tribhuvan Army Club and Nepal APF Club have already entered the semi-finals from Group A.

Batting first, Province5 scored 200-9 in their allotted 50 overs before NPC reached 201-3 with six overs to spare. Shankar Rana top scored for Province5 with 44 off 78 balls that included four boundaries and a six, while Saurav Khanal struck five fours and a six in his 54-ball 42. Krishna Karki struck one each fours and six in his 24-ball 26, while Rajbir Singh scored 21 and Sandeep Sunar and Bikram Kumar Bhusal contributed 20 each. Shubhendu Pandey (17) also scored in double figures.

For NPC, Ram Naresh Giri (2-54) and Lalit Narayan Rajbanshi (2-37) shared four wickets between them, while Lalit Singh Bhandari and Dipendra Singh Airee claimed one wicket each.

In reply, Airee scored a half century to guide the team to victory. Airee struck two boundaries and three sixes in his quick fire unbeaten 58 off 53 balls, while Aarif Sheikh scored 45 not out off 51 balls that included two fours and three sixes. Man-of-the-match Airee and Sheikh shared 104-run partnership for the unbroken fourth wicket.

Sunil Dhamala scored 36 off 82 balls, while his opening partner Amit Shrestha struck three fours in his 41-ball 30. Dilip Nath scored 24 off 38 balls hitting two boundaries. Sandeep Sunar took 2-35 off nine overs, while Lal Adhikari pocketed one wicket for Province5.

In Friday’s semi-finals, Group A winners TAC will take on Group B runners-up Province5, while Group B winners NPC will play against Group A runners-up Nepal APF Club.

Written by Sandeep This news first appeared on https://thehimalayantimes.com/sports/police-hammer-province5/ under the title “Police hammer Province5”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Mike Hesson quits as New Zealand cricket coach

0

WELLINGTON: New Zealand cricket coach Mike Hesson has quit with a year to run on his contract, citing family reasons.

Hesson, who has presided over one of New Zealand’s most successful eras in the sport and is credited with creating a culture of fair play which has been applauded around the world, made the shock announcement on Thursday. His resignation takes effect from July 31 and comes a year out from the Cricket World Cup.

The 43-year-old Hesson coached New Zealand for six years and formed a particularly successful partnership with former captain Brendon McCullum. He said the demands of international cricket had influenced his decision and he wants to spend more time with his wife and two daughters.

“This job requires 100 percent commitment and is all consuming,” Hesson said. “I know what’s required over the next 12 months but, if I’m honest, I don’t feel I have the capacity to give the job what it deserves.”

Hesson said New Zealand Cricket, and CEO David White, had given him support and flexible options “but the idea of missing a match, a tour or a format, as has been proposed at different times, has never sat well with me.”

White said New Zealand Cricket accepted Hesson’s reasons for quitting but regretted his departure.

“I tried to persuade him to stay on for another 12 months but his mind was made up,” White said. “We understand his position.”

Hesson has “more than realized the potential we saw in him back in 2012 and has grown into one of the most respected coaches on the international circuit,” White said. “At the same time, he’s carried a torch for coaches in all sports, demonstrating through his success that top-level coaching is not exclusively or necessarily the domain of former star players.”

Hesson has been New Zealand’s longest-serving national coach, taking over the role in August, 2012 after previously coaching Kenya. He was largely unknown in New Zealand at the time and his qualifications were at first doubted by some fans.

Many of those fans were angered when, among his first steps as coach, Hesson replaced Ross Taylor as national captain and appointed McCullum in his place.

But fans were quickly won back when Hesson and McCullum developed a policy of playing attacking cricket in all three formats, while also accentuating cricket’s traditions of sportsmanship.

New Zealand reached the final of the 2015 World Cup and is currently ranked fourth in all three men’s international formats. Last summer the team won 13 consecutive matches at home and beat England in a test series for the first time in almost 20 years.

In total, New Zealand won 21, had 13 draws and lost 19 of their 53 tests under Hesson. In the limited-overs formats, the New Zealanders had a 65-46 win-loss record in 119 ODIS, with eight ties or no-results, and were 30-24 in Twenty20 internationals, with five ties or no results.

Written by Sandeep This news first appeared on https://thehimalayantimes.com/sports/mike-hesson-quits-as-new-zealand-cricket-coach/ under the title “Mike Hesson quits as New Zealand cricket coach”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Kevin Durant buries clutch shot — and perhaps Cavs, too — with same Game 3 heroics

0

Kevin Durant made the same shot in (nearly) the same spot for the Warriors in Game 3. That puts Golden State one step away from another championship.

Written by This news first appeared on http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-finals-2018-cavs-vs-warriors-game-3-kevin-durant-stats-shot-highlights/17km5yc28sb37144pr1jlbdsva under the title “Kevin Durant buries clutch shot — and perhaps Cavs, too — with same Game 3 heroics”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Huawei got access to data: Facebook

0

If @Facebook granted Huawei special access to social data of Americans this might as well have given it directly to the government of #China

  • Marco Rubio, US senator

Image: THT online

San Francisco, June 6

Facebook drew fresh criticism from US lawmakers following revelations that it allowed Chinese smartphone makers, including one deemed a national security threat, access to user data.

The world’s largest social network confirmed last night that China-based Huawei — which has been banned by the US military and a lightning rod for
cyberespionage concerns — was among device markets authorised to see user data.

Facebook has claimed the agreements with some 60 device makers dating from a decade ago were designed to help the social media giant get more services into the mobile ecosystem.

Nonetheless, lawmakers expressed outrage that Chinese firms were given access to user data at a time when officials were trying to block their access to the US market over national security concerns.

Senator Ed Markey said Facebook’s chief executive has some more explaining to do following these revelations.

“Mark Zuckerberg needs to return to Congress and testify why @facebook shared Americans’ private information with questionable Chinese companies,” the Massachusetts Democrat said on Twitter.

“Our privacy and national security cannot be the cost of doing business.”

Other lawmakers zeroed in on the concerns about Huawei’s ties to the Chinese government, even though the company has denied the allegations.

“This could be a very big problem,” tweeted Senator Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican. “If @Facebook granted Huawei special access to social data of Americans this might as well have given it directly to the government of #China.”

Representative Debbie Dingell called the latest news on Huawei “outrageous” and urged a new congressional probe.

“Why does Huawei, a company that our intelligence community says is a national security threat, have access to our personal information?” said Dingell, a Michigan Democrat, on Twitter.

“With over 184 million daily Facebook users in US & Canada, the potential impact on our privacy & national security is huge.”

Facebook, which has been blocked in China since 2009, also had data-access deals with Chinese companies Lenovo, OPPO and TCL, according to the company, which had similar arrangements with dozens of other device makers.

Huawei, which has claimed national security fears are unfounded, said in an emailed statement its access was the same as other device makers.

“Like all leading smartphone providers, Huawei worked with Facebook to make Facebook’s service more convenient for users. Huawei has never collected or stored any Facebook user data.”

The revelations come weeks after Zuckerberg was grilled in Congress about the hijacking of personal data on some 87 million Facebook users by Cambridge Analytica, a consultancy working on Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign.

Facebook said its contracts with phone makers placed tight limits on what could be done with data, and “approved experiences” were reviewed by engineers and managers before being deployed, according to the social network.

Any data obtained by Huawei “was stored on the device, not on Huawei’s servers,” according to Facebook mobile partnerships chief Francisco Varela.

Facebook said it does not know of any privacy abuse by cellphone makers who years ago were able to gain access to personal data on users and their friends.

It has argued the data-sharing with smartphone makers was different from the leak of data to Cambridge Analytica, which obtained private user data from a personality quiz designed by an academic researcher who violated Facebook’s rules.

Written by Sureis This news first appeared on https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/huawei-got-access-to-data-facebook/ under the title “Huawei got access to data: Facebook”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Cavs vs. Warriors: Score, updates, highlights from Game 3 of NBA Finals

0

Can the Cavs rise to the challenge and defend their home court? Or will the Warriors grab a commanding 3-0 lead? Follow along here for live updates from Game 3.

Written by This news first appeared on http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-finals-2018-cavs-vs-warriors-score-updates-highlights-game-3-lebron-james/1swex4vbhib751c5rfrztzgwdz under the title “Cavs vs. Warriors: Score, updates, highlights from Game 3 of NBA Finals”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

NBA Finals 2018: LeBron James’ self-lob on par with MJ, Doc’s iconic moments

0

LeBron James creates an enduring NBA Finals moment with a play that evokes memories of Michael Jordan and Julius Erving.

Written by This news first appeared on http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-finals-2018-lebron-james-self-alley-oop-dunk-video-michael-jordan-julius-erving/x9u6j0jrhcnm1uqf9y6lzbo2j under the title “
NBA Finals 2018: LeBron James’ self-lob on par with MJ, Doc’s iconic moments
“. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.

Red Schoendienst, Hall of Famer, Cardinals legend, dies at 95

0

Red Schoendienst was a world champion player, manager and coach for the Redbirds during a baseball career that began in 1942.

Written by This news first appeared on http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/red-schoendienst-dies-dead-obit-st-louis-cardinals-hall-of-fame-player-manager/bjqovcbrxe0n1ujf4a8m4fv11 under the title “Red Schoendienst, Hall of Famer, Cardinals legend, dies at 95”. Bolchha Nepal is not responsible or affiliated towards the opinion expressed in this news article.